Thursday 3 October 2013

Cinder...

When I first heard of Cinder, I remember it being described as a modern day retelling of Cinderella. I was skeptical and didn't think I would ever pick up. Reading the decription, you'll soon find out that the story revolves around a cyborg who goes by the name of Cinder. She live with her stepmother and two stepsisters reflecting the traditional Cinderella story. I was rather intrigued by how this concept can be applied to the old fairytale, and alas under the weak strength of my willpower, I bought it. Finishing the last page, I realised that the similarities between the original and the retelling just about stops there, which is a good thing.

The story is set in New Beijing in times ahead of us. There, cyborg are detested and treated as second class. Everytime the word Cyborg is mentioned, my mind instantly wanders to Cyborg from the cartoon Teen Titans, big, bulky and rough. This made it hard to conjure the image the author meant for Cinder. Their world is one which is quite different from ours and discovering the nooks and crannies of it was interesting in itself.

Cinder as  person is super cool as we,l as an amazing mechanic. She earns her living fixing gadgets in a dingy and dodgy shop in the market place. Given her reputation as one fof the best, the Prince of New Beijing out of options and in desperation seeks her help in fixing he's android. Thus is the start to all things interesting and twisted in the life of Cinder as she gets dangerously entangled in the web of the Prince's world.

Upon reading the last words of the book, I was eager to get my hands on the next book in the series. Unfortunately, the word broke is super relevant to me at the moment. Marissa Meyer did a great job creating this world as well as the characters. Cinder sounds like someone I would go on a rocket ship adventure, not to mention her computer fixing skills which would match my technological breakdown-proned self.

This book is only the beginning of what is to be an exciting adventure. It is quite different from the pool of other Young adult books out there. Cinder is an unusual heroine given her circumstance and her strong character as she navigate her way through the maze of life.

Buy from:
The Book Depository
or


Would I recommend this book?
Yes 
How much do I rate this?
4.5/5
Would I read other works by this author?
Hell yea the rest of the books in the series!

No comments:

Post a Comment