Wednesday 16 October 2013

Stepping back...

The memory of me walking out the plane into Heathrow sits clearly in my mind like a perfectly framed picture. Crosses are starting to fill in the empty boxes of my calendar as the days since my arrival here in Durham continue to stack up without fail. Its been a full week of hectic activities with not a moment left for me to breathe. Juggling a domestic life for myself alongside a busy academic and activity schedule has appeared harder than I thought it would be, and I haven't even had the time to meet up with friends I haven't seen in a while.

I had a little conversation with the air steward as I was walking out the plane. He saw me reading the newspapers from end to end and wondered what I was doing in England. I told him I study in Durham and his observation practically summed up my interests-everything. He asked if I had a part time job after I told him the expenses of me being here and I guiltily replied no as my presence in this part of the world relies solely on the ability of my parents to work. I never thought I would be sitting here right now being able to have my own income especially not with the pile of rejections I received last year (all shapes and forms, text messages, letters, emails, verbal, you name it I got it.)

Yes, I have a job. There is a probationary period which I am still in but at least I know I have half a foot in the door. My first shift will start next week and I feel really challenge with the task I will have to do but with the level of support shown so far, I am hopeful that everything will be ok.

The air is already a cold chill forewarning what might be an intense three months of winter. Rumour has it that last year was the worst winter England has seen in a hundred years, then why is the wind blowing more fervently this time round? It was all a big lie. Looking out the window to the down trodden wet roads and dull skies is a sad sight and makes me look forward to huddling snugly under my feathered quilt to stay away from the cold that never seems to allude this place.

So far things have gone better than I've hoped. I remain thankful every single day firstly for my loving parents and secondly for all that I have been given the opportunity to experience. I'm still the same as I was last year, hopeful and big-eyed, but a little less naive and a little more prepared. I still don't know what the hell I'm doing on earth or even Durham for that matter or where I want to head off to after graduation. I still ask the big questions and even little ones that matter to absolutely no one but myself. And I'll always be the overly keen girl talking about work (but doesn't actually want to work) because that's just how I am. Some people can't deal with it and maybe last year I've been too wary of pleasing everybody. This time round, I know my limitations and I embrace them because I can't be a perfect person. I hope to meet some good people along the way but if I don't, tough luck.

As much as I would love life to be all rosy and red, I know that the fall can be pretty deep. And for some one like me with little direction, big ambitions and a crazy mind, comfortable just isn't going to work, meaning that I'll be encountering a good amount of challenges. I'm learning to embrace it. I will be a better person.

Thank you for reading, I hope you have a lovely day.

No comments:

Post a Comment