Tuesday 19 March 2013

Good morning, Baltimore...

Good morning to everyone! The sun is shining mildly where I'm at and it is no where near Baltimore, but that was the only thing that has been playing on repeat in my mind for the past ten minutes. Though I have seen better days and lighter moods, given the damp and swompy snow last evening, this is really more than I could ask for. I hope the sun is shining where you're at :)

I am now officially on vacation, and its the second day of my five week long easter break. Yes, five weeks, in addition to the 4 weeks of Christmas break, on top of our 3 month long summer break. What do we pay for? LOL. Well, you can imagine how stressful actual term time is. Its really quite over here now in Durham as 70% of students have already left for home, some of which will have already reach the warmth of the tropical climate. Oh, how I wish...

But for the rest of us stuck up here in isolation, we'll have to make do with whatever we have. And it really isn't that bad at all. This is what I had for breakfast, and is likely to be what I'll be having for lunch and dinner for a very long time. Tea and toast, luckily, I love food no matter the complexity or simplicity. So I'm good. But given the simplicity of this particular meal, I had to work disproportionately hard for it travelling up and down two flights of stairs because someone stole our toaster, and the kettle on the 2nd floor is gone. So depending on what you want to eat, you'd have to go to the floor that has the appliance required. Sad but true story indeed.

In case you were curious, there is vacation catering available but the cost of it is way too much for me to justify. I am on a rather tight budget so I decided to give it a pass, I don't eat that much anyway. (Although I have to admit this is rather sad).





The last of my friends leaving left on Monday morning (yesterday) and she left me with her beautiful bunch of flowers. I realised this past month that I do indeed love flowers. Twice now I have been given flowers, but neither have been specifically for me or meant for something special. But I'm not complaining, whatever the reason, the flowers on my table makes me really happy. Especially given their pretty pink colour.

You could see hints of my curtains sneaking into the pictures. I just had to say that I hate the colour. It borders on disgusting. I'm sure that there are many more better options to take compared to the ugly faded green that greets me every single morning as well as every second I sit in my room. But I guess, they did say that this is the worst block out of all the blocks. Apparently, it will be refurbished at the end of this academic year, which is when I move out. Just my luck. But it doesn't matter, its comfy, I gotta admit.

The Durham bubble is quiet. There is an odd serenity in the air, and I think I ought to travel down to the market to get some food that will keep me alive. But so long as I am fine with my bread and butter, I doubt that I will be able to motivate myself to walk 20 minutes into town and then back up again.

For now, let me leave you with this beautiful song Apartment by Young the Giant. I don't really understand what it means, then again it feels like I do but am hoping for it to mean something else. I'll stop writing now as I do realise that this has been an oddly long post. Many words in my brain now that there's no one else to talk to I guess.

Thanks for reading! Hope you have a lovely day.

Love xx

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment