Tuesday 16 July 2013

Me Before You...

I finished The Girl You Left Behind by Jojo Moyes deciding that this was an author I definitely want to read more of. And so browsing through her books I knew I had to get Me Before You, after all it was the one that my friend had confessed to loving and crying to.

I didn't really know what to think before starting, I seem to be doing that a lot these days. And to be honest I never really felt like I wanted to read a book with the main character named Lou. I'm judgy with names, I know I shouldn't. But the combination of a great cover, another good book by Moyes, a deal on amazon, and great reviews led me to know that not getting it would only result in a lost on my part. 

So we are introduced to a seemingly plain Jane almost boring Lou who loves her job but loses it because the owner of the cafe she works in decides to close it. Right off the bat, Lou sounds like the type of girl you can count on if you gave her a chance, she just haven't done much to have a reason to. But being unemployed leaves her no choice but to change her normal rhythm of life.

Cue Will. Young successful good looking someone who lives life to the fullest and creates experiences instead of waiting for life to take over. That is until he has an accident that turns him into the man he never wanted to be. Will's mother is desperate to have any trace of her old son back and hires Lou the be his carer. She is fighting with all her might a battle she may have placed hopes too high for, but he's her son and a mother's love knows no end.

The story is essentially the  interactions of Lou and Will accompanied by their family and some friends as they fight their way through this thing that has changed all their lives. It traps you in the small confined world of Lou Clark and Will Traynor not loosening it's grip until you have no more words left to read. I always find that fiction tends to be he genre that reads the slowest for me but this was certainly not the case here. This book was supposed to keep me entertained for at least three days but instead it was all over in two, and only because I started late in the day and my eyes were drooping so heavily I couldn't keep them open. 

I felt like I was listening to Lou as she flashes back onto a distant painful memory. Moyes' characters felt so real I feel as though somewhere in England Lou and Will really do exist not less because their town is so much like the one I'm in. Sleepy town with a historic castle and summer breathing a breathe of fresh air. 

This book hardly contained any surprise for me, I hardly had a moment where i was left stunned mouthing oh my God to myself, but it was never boring and always left me wanting more. As I got nearer to the end, the reviews started making sense although I hoped I was wrong and this only intensified the need to know how it all ends. Needless to say, I fell victim to the weeping bug and found myself with more tears than I cry for myself and too much sadness for a 19 year old on a Friday night. I was still crying for a good minute or so after finishing the last sentence, it was that sad.

This might spoil the ending a bit, but Independent on Sunday likens Lou and Clark to Emma and Dex from One Day by Dave Nicholls. Now that is another book so sad I can't bring myself to watch the movie to relive the whole thing again. I clearly remember repeating no no no in disbelief when you know what happens to Emma, especially not after all that they been through. I don't know why I read this review after finishing and went crazy thinking Moyes and Nichols are so cruel to maker fall in love with their characters and twist my heart out at then end. The clue was there all along...

I guess with so many people hinting at what comes (me included) there is hardly any surprises to be thrown at you in the book. But it doesn't need to. This book is like the friend you know that has sad eyes because of her pain that you know about but it is still heartbreaking every time her story is repeated. It is definitely a story that stays in your mind and as Independent on Sunday states one that you would want to share with fiends (damn they got it so right). 

So I urge you to go out and get this book and read it at once. If not, your lost.

Buy from:
Book Depository
or


Would I recommend this book?
Yes
How much do I rate this book? 
5/5
Would I read other works by this author?
Yes

ps if I seem a little scatter brained, it's probably because I'm a little high on emotions. You see, I just finished reading the book. I mean just.


No comments:

Post a Comment