Saturday 28 September 2013

Intern Diaries: Intern no more...


Hello there, Goodbye.

7 weeks is over. As fast as it started, it has raced ahead at the speed of light checking out faster than you can say goodbye. I no longer carry the intern label above my head and am no longer chained to the rigid 9-6 schedule in-scripted on my contract. Just as I am zipping up my suitcase to round up this up, I am reopening another one to step back into the reality of student-hood.

This past month and a half has added a whole set of new questions into my already brimming mental database, leaving old ones still as raw and unanswered as before. I have lost the sense of who I am and what I want to be by having had to confront the possibilities straight in my face without a veil to protect me from harsh realities. As I try to reconcile with the buzzing bees trapped in my head, I tell myself that more questions is better than no questions, symbolising my active healthy mind.

The routined morning wake up call at too early times and wrapping up the days late into the evening have filled my days without an empty slot to allow me to feel any hint of boredom. The office has played a second home to me housing me everyday and feeding me God sent acceptable speed WiFi (priorities). What I'll miss most is the people. The interns who stood with me by the door begging to be let in like cats scratching at doors, I now consider my them friends in every sense of the word. Even the staff in the office, I'll miss the beeping sound their security tag makes when they open the door and burst into the room full of bright sunshine. Me leaving the office feels like saying goodbye to a whole other world.

Reflection is something greatly embedded in the culture of the organisation. The first question people usually ask after getting your name is what do you feel about something. My biggest takeaway from this experience would be the experience of an actual working life. The insight I gained relates to an organisational perspective of education, three steps removed from the kids. Policies and the impact of administration, and event management of which culminated in my high for the internship. 

I am no closer to finding a way out of the maze I find myself stuck in. Many times I wished I chose the simple life of staying at home or rotting on the couch as another intern said, but if I had to do it all over again I would. Again and again and again. The places I have been, the things I have seen and the friends I have made, cannot be replaced with any amount of precious metal. Thank you for accepting me, thank you for opening the doors, thank you for welcoming me, thank you for talking to me, thank you for being my friend. 

Goodbye. 
Jumpa lagi.

No comments:

Post a Comment