Tuesday 15 September 2015

The things uni have taught me...

I stumbled upon this unfinished draft in my list. Now that I have officially completed university, perhaps it will be even more relevant/accurate for me to give some reflection on this...

Time flies. 
This is something no one needs a reminder of, and yet we all kind of still do. This is the essence of the chase that most of us are involved in. It is precisely because time ticks that we rush into the things we do. Three years in university sounds like an eternity before, but it has flashed by so fast that I can't even imagine all the seasons I've been through (12 to be exact). And yet I can feel it. Somewhere etched in my heart the first touch of soft snow, the first dread of icy slipperiness, the panic at 4am of not getting anyway in an assignment. If I look right ahead at the white wall in front of me, feeling the humidity surrounding me, all those dinners I've shared with my good friends could all have been a figment of my imagination. And yet I can feel it, deep in my bones I know they were real. Yes, time rolls on like a ball of snow tumbling down a steep hill. Faster and faster it goes, and I just happened to be counting down the seconds it takes to hit the ground. 

Life skills
This is by far the most observable learning I have, in my eyes. I confess I grew up slightly (maybe more than just slightly) brattish. Going to university with no one to help cook your food OR most importantly clean up the dishes changes the whole game. In fact, red flags pop up when I run out of underwear and have to dry them using a hairdryer. God... university leaves us with such fine tales. I've learnt how to cook for one, or for many, cleaning, talking to people, living with people, learning what pisses me off and what makes me happy. Learning how to use microsoft fucking word and all its formatting shit. Learning how to SURVIVE because when its 8pm and you're too sick to get out of bed to feed your starving stomach, or when you have 10 pounds for the rest of the month and an empty fridge, or when you screwed up that one time over an assignment. You learn not just to get up, but how to move on. You learn to survive. 

University can be the best days of your life.
But not necessarily. It can be because when else can you drop "I'm a student" and get a free pass off any stupid mistake you made. When else do you get to be selfishly brattish and have your lecturers literally holding your hand guiding you away from the dark (if you let them). When else do you get the support of an institution, the FULL support of your parents, the support of other likeminded peers. Likeminded young 20 year olds that are just as lost as you are acting more like kids than young adults. Throwing yoghurts at other blocks, lauching into full sofa stealing mode, transferring your roomates' ENTIRE room OUTSIDE to mirror exactly what it was liek in a room. To be able to wake up at 11am every single day without ever knowing what the air smells like at 6am, have your entire social circle be 5 minutes away. It's like they designed university to make your life easy. But God forbid that the three years should be my best, because I have decades to go in this life.

Life goes on.
To be fair, this I learned after finishing the entire process, graduation included. I learn that as much as I want to put those years on repeat, it is a place I can never revisit. I want to sit and cry and hole myself up in the illusion that I am still a student, but time kind of just leaves me behind. So I do too. 



No comments:

Post a Comment