Wednesday 21 November 2012

Life is for living...

Unless you have been living in a hole recently, you would have known that London 2012 was massively successful. And rowing contributed much of the Gold medal influx for Great Britain. Durham University Boat Club being one of the premier clubs to supply athletes for Team GB had a massive and overwhelming respond in terms of the interest for rowing. What it means is that it sucks. Because the learn to row course had so many people. I have rowed before but I did not know how to get started so I decided to just start again, I am no pro anyway.


What you see above is in Maiden Castle, the university's main sports centre. I showed it to my coach in Australia and she went "aww my gawd there're so many of them", her exact words. And she lived and rowed in London so she would know.

I did try out for the freshers team but I knew I would not get it anyway. The state of unfitness I am in is quite appalling, but I was intent of getting all of the 20 pounds worth of money I paid for the course. So I went for it and of course, I did not make it. But it was a good experience.

Anyway, I live in college (you need to here) so I joined the college club. Which is rather dodgy when compared to the University Boat Club, but you have to live with what you get. And something is always better than nothing. I wished I took more pictures of the University Boat Club but for some reason I felt like a spy infiltrating their system so I dared not take anymore pictures. Especially not of their pride and joy--the indoor rowing tank.



So that is the college boat club (so dodgy) and a view of the river where ALL THE CLUBS row on. Massive traffic congestion happens.



My first outing was crazy misty and crazy cold. I have to mention here that it was 2pm in the afternoon. Oh England, what love you show me! I was freezing, literally could not feel my fingers. And their boats are old school made of wood. They're so heavy its killer to make four girls try to take it into and out of the boathouse. I always pray for some guys to be around to help. So far, my prayers have not exactly been answered.


And lastly, I felt obliged to show you the long flight of steps to descend to get to where the boathouse is. Its not as long as it seems cause at that point I was already halfway down and felt too lazy to walk back up just to take a picture. I was also late. The real pain however is not going down as you might have guessed, its really going up. After a session of rowing, where thigh muscles are utilised... Oh Lord... not looking forward to my next session.

This is part of the everything that I got myself involved in. 

PS that last sentence will make sense once you have read the little paragraph at the bottom of the page. Its meant to be and About me section or something... I don't really know. Also, (such a long post script...) I am massively mad at myself for not being able to start writing my essay having wasted the entire afternoon and night doing practically nothing. Anyway, have a good day or night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment