Wednesday 21 November 2012

Nothing safe is worth the drive...

Freshers Fair
One thing that tempted me away from a sunny disposition was the collegiate system in which the university functions. As much as I was seduced I did not apply for a specific college putting in an open application instead. In my first week I questioned that decision of passing up living in the more historic colleges such as the Castle (oh the castle...) but I am finding out that Van Mildert might just be the best college in town.

People here are friendly and crazy. And they also like to drink. It did not take long for me to realise that club socials basically equates to bar crawls, or drinks, drinks and more drinks. There is never a dull moment here.

But more than that it has such a friendly atmosphere and a welcoming aspect that is said to be absent in some other colleges. I wouldn't know... Surprisingly, college food is really good. Yes, I repeat, really good. I actually eagerly await each meal guessing what would be served. Pathetic, but you would understand if you were here.






Our college bar is awesome and drinks are ridiculously cheap. I guess there really is not much else to do in this tiny town so people mostly turn to alcohol to entertain themselves. But I guess it could also just be attributed to the English culture. I think that applies more.

Freshers week was is hazy in my memory. It passed so quickly filled with tears and loneliness and getting to know so many people then forgetting all their names and then meeting and reintroducing not knowing if you have already done so. I guess what is supposed to be the best week of your life can turn out to be not much for others. I never made it out past 12am partly because of the jet lag but mostly because of homesickness. I missed my friends, I didn't think it would be so hard without them.

Block parties, crazy challenges, bar crawls... There was so much to do and so much information being fed into our brains its a wonder we made it out alive. 

Its been about two months into university now and I have not settled down yet. Things are still moving so quickly. I guess it is partly my fault for being unable to resist signing up to every single thing I see. I am so weak. But then they tell you to make the most out of anything you have and that is exactly what I  am trying to do.

I think I like it here. It gets way to cold and way too wet sometimes, but its actually pretty good. And I can feel myself liking it here more everyday. I still desperately miss my friends and wonder why I went to the farthest corner where I knew no one but I guess that's just me chasing something I am still trying to figure out. 

Much love.

PS I take bad photos.

Taylor Swift Treacherous

No comments:

Post a Comment