Thursday 7 March 2013

Pride and Prejudice...

I went to watch Pride & Prejudice last Monday night at University College. It was by Castle Theatre Company which is basically the college's theatre group. It was my first college play therefore I did not know what to expect. It was only 5.50 pounds so either way I knew I wouldn't end up massively disappointed or anything like that.

Watch out for Measles!
Anyway, I thought it was extremely appropriate that it was Castle that put up Pride & Prejudice (my college did Carbaret). While waiting for everyone to be sitted, I was looking around and nothing in the room except the audience suggested that we were in the year 2013. And when the actors came out, they did not look out of place at all. Even with so few props, the fact that they were acting against the backdrop of the walls of the Castle made it so believable that it was whatever year it was that Jane Austen intended it to be.

I thought the play turned out pretty good. Mrs Darcy was extreme in the ways she should have been, and Mr. Darcy's dryness was hilarious. Kitty and Lydia were as they were and Mary was constantly studying. I thought the actress playing Jane is so beautiful, she really really is. And so was the actress playing Elizabeth Bennet. I hate to say it but I found Colonel Fitzwilliam a much better looker than Mr. Darcy. Although Mr. Darcy did in all his air present a very commanding aura. So well casted indeed.


Jane is at the far right. She is gorgeous.


The Musicians' corner

It was a good night I had with my friend, the play lasted roughly 3 hours so it was definitely well worth the money. I only wished Durham wasn't such a small city so we could have went somewhere to have a little drink or have some light tidbits and chatted away before going home. But by the end, the city was sleeping silently and there was no way to go in the freezing air. So we took the nightbus and made our way home. 

Love xx


No comments:

Post a Comment