Saturday 17 August 2013

Intern Diaries: Casual Friday

How casual is casual ever in a workplace? So as with many other modern corporations/organisations, the office I'm interning with does Casual Friday. My fellow guy intern commented that the girls usually look pretty much the same as they do on "formal wear" days whereas the guys whole heartedly look forward to wearing t-shirts and jeans. If you're a girl, you would understand, formal and casual wear have lines that blur into each other. If I could, I would totally wear my jammies into the office but... Yea, its my first week here lets not push it.

Four interns left us today and it seemed like their managers really appreciated them, like really. I wonder if I would be able to be half as good as they were. I'm worried I won't be. There was cake too, happy and sad at the same time, confused!

Thus ends my first week of my first internship. It has been quite good, I like the atmosphere and though I got off to a rough start due to bad timing and still needing to recover from jetlag, I think I'm going to have a good time here. I also think that I will be given many more projects in the weeks to come as there will be less interns. I'm both excited and scared, God help me...

One thing that my internship has made me think about so far is what I want to do for my future. If anything, it has made me more confused. As I've mentioned, it is a non profit organisation and does things for the good of education. I'm confused as to whether or not I am a corporate person or a person who chases things for the greater good. I know it is possible to get both together but these opportunities are hard to come by. Most people go into either of the two and a majority of them lean towards corporate. I'm not sure of my values and what I stand for anymore. I'm just way too confused about everything!

I must remind myself a thousand times each day to not worry about the future, especially one that is going to take years to become the present. Obviously I don't have much success in the department. It has been ingrained in me to constantly think about what I should do in the future even if its light years away.

Anyway, this is where I'll leave off at. Going home for the weekend. Happy times.

No comments:

Post a Comment