Tuesday 13 August 2013

Intern Diaries: The First Day...

When your school gives you a summer break (or really any break at all), people usually choose to be bums and laze around at home, or on the beach. Then you have me, who unwittingly filled it with very purposeful activities. It is good stuff, but honestly I would rather spend my days sleeping like pig in my bed, which I have not yet been able to sleep in yet! My own lovely bed!

Just to let you know what has been going on, I volunteered for FINA World Aquatic Championships in Barcelona doing some media work. It was the most amazing 14 days ever, I may write a post on that now thinking about it. However, what it meant was that I stayed back in Europe longer instead of flying straight home. After arriving home, three days later I jet off to the capital city to start an internship. Today is my second day and let me tell you I have not recovered from jet lag yet. God... I am crazy. I am only in my first year so I am not entirely sure why I put myself through such unnecessary torture.

On the internship, I am doing it with the equivalent of Teach For America in my country. My first day (yesterday) was ok, it was a little boring at first given that it was the first day after a long public holiday so the staff that was suppose to give me an orientation was not in! I am still blur as to the ins and outs of the office, I don't know how to get to the toilets. Enough said. Anyway, it is pretty good. I had work in the afternoon and even had to stay back overtime to complete it (don't worry, its not labour, I chose to do so myself.). I'm working longer hours than my parents.

From observation, the office has a really cool atmosphere. Everyone likes everyone and people are so committed and dedicated. There is no check in or out as it functions on trust, most people here just love working for the cause, which is the best check for work I guess.

I will end this shit talk here right now, 9am has passed three minutes ago and work has started. That's all. I'm really sleepy.

No comments:

Post a Comment